The PRCA (Prairie Renaissance Cultural Alliance) is sponsoring a musical event by
!Viva Mexico! on Saturday, October 5th. This is a free event, open to the public. At 3:00 p.m. in the library meeting room, there will be a workshop on music and storytelling for all ages. That evening, outside the back door of the PRCA Art Gallery, 630 Atlantic Ave, there will be a Mexican dinner provided and prepared by our local Lazos group with live music of !Viva Mexico!, a mariachi band. This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through grants from the Lake Region Arts Council, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.
Noted Minnesota photographer, Doug Ohman is returning to Morris with a presentation of Minnesota cemeteries on Wednesday, October 23rd at 6:30 p.m. at the library. This event is sponsored by Viking Library System with funding from the Minnesota Arts & Heritage Legacy Fund. Join us, just in time for Halloween.
During the MEA (Minnesota Educators Association) break, the library will be hosting a movie matinee for children of all ages, Thursday, October 17th at 2:00 p.m. Popcorn and water will be provided. This event is sponsored by Alan Saugstad and the Friends of the Morris Public Library.
The library has added a few new magazine subscriptions to our collection: Family Tree (genealogy), Hobby Farms, Love of Quilting, Travel 50+; and for the children: American Girl, Kids Discovery, Scooby Doo, and ZooBooks (baby animals). Another new exciting subscription for us is an online resume building database from Cypress Press. There is a link on our webpage, in the Business & Career section and icons will be on our public computers. We hope you find these additional resources helpful.
Our display case in October features pop-up books belonging to Barbara McGinnis. Previous displays have been: turtles, birds, cats, hippos, delftware, vinyl record covers, teapots, and music boxes. If you have a collection you would like to share, contact the library to schedule a month to display it – 320-589-1634.
A selection of spooky and/or horror books for Halloween include:
- A Good Night for Ghosts, by Mary Pope Osborne, 2009. J Osb
- Halloween, by Amy Margaret, 2002. J 394.2646 Mar
- Halloween Crafts, by Fay Robinson, 2001. J 745.594 Rob
- Haunted – ghost stories, 2006. J Hau
- Let’s Throw a Halloween Party, by Rachel Lynette, 2012. J 793.2 Lyn
- Scary Stories to Read when its Dark, by Arnold Lobel, 2000. J Lob
- Campfire Thrillers, short stories edited by Rebecca Rizzo, 1994. 808.83 C15
- Ghost at Work, by Carolyn Hart (mystery), 2008. M Har
- Ghostly Tales of Minnesota, by Ruth Hein, 1992. 133.1 Hei
- Midnight Voices, by John Saul, 2002 Sa8
- Winter Haunting, Dan Simmons, 2002 Si4
- Women and Ghosts, by Alison Lurie, 1994 (short stories) L97